Poem Appreciation -2
Hard is the Way of the World (行路难)
Author: Li Bai (李白, 701-762, Tang Dynasty)
English translation: Xu, Yuanchong (许渊冲)
- Pure wine in golden cup costs ten thousand coins, good!
- Choice dish in a jade plate is worth as much. nice food!
- Pushing aside my cup and chopsticks, I can’t eat;
- Drawing my sword and looking round, I bear my heart beat.
- I can’t cross Yellow River: ice has stopped its flow;
- I can’t climb Mount Taihang: the sky is blind with snow.
- I poise a fishing pole with ease on the green stream,
- Or set sail for the sun like the sage in a dream.
- Hard is the way. Hard is the way.
- Don’t go astray! Whither today?
- A time will come to ride the wind and cleave the waves;
- I’ll set my cloud-like sail to cross the sea which raves.